Thursday, February 7, 2008

Web Video

As a shelver, I just had to embed the video of the 2007 ALA Book Cart Drill Team Championships:



I like YouTube. I have never posted a video on the site, but many of my friends have, and I often use the site to check out their stop-action animations and other goofy movies. One friend of mine spent a year living in Nicaragua teaching a pre-school class, and although she often sent us pictures of the kids, it wasn't until she posted a video of the kids on YouTube that the rest of us were really able to understand the personalities of these kids and why she loved them so much. And although that's certainly one cool thing about YouTube, I also like how there are now some professional videos on the site too, like the presidential candidates who post campaign materials.

I'm not really sure how web videos could be useful in libraries--maybe we could film instructional videos about how to use certain features of the website, building, etc. I'm sure that there are other uses for web videos in libraries, it'll just take some time to think about them all!

1 comment:

Terzah said...

The most common use I've heard of for video in libraries is promotion, but like you said instruction is way up there too. We're also considering creating a Web tour of the Main library for placement on a future Web page. We have a video camera available to all staff to check out!